Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Paleo Detox Diet: Day 1 - Rise & Shine

The first step toward success is taken when you refuse to be a captive of the environment in which you first find yourself.
 - Mark Caine

6:15 AM
As my alarm goes off, my immediate reaction is...Nooooo. Curse you, Daylight Savings Time!

6:30 AM
Hit the treadmill at the gym in our apartment complex. Alternate between walking and jogging at varied inclines for 20 minutes. End with a 5 minute ab circuit. 
Calories Burned: 185

7:00 AM
Prep my lunch for the day. Grilled (using a stove-top grill pan) chicken breast over a bed of romaine, spinach, parsley, and chopped veggies. Cut up 2 stalks of celery and pack them with 1 tbsp. of crunch almond butter. 
Blend up berries, coconut water, and egg white protein powder and toss into a 16 oz. water bottle.


7:30 AM
Shower, get ready for work. I don't feel hungry but I do feel a little nauseous and light headed, and realize I didn't drink water this morning. Down a glass of H20. 

8:15 AM
Out the door and off to work. Starting to feel hungry so I sip on my breakfast smoothie while I'm on my train. 
Calories Consumed: 215 

8:45 AM
Settle into work and finish my smoothie. Feeling alert and level headed, but my stomach is growling. I'm not used to morning workouts, or eating breakfast (normal go-to is a large black coffee or double shot of espresso in the am). Amazing how much hungrier you are when you start your day the right way.  

I notice as I store my lunch in the fridge that someone brought brownies into work and left them in the kitchen. Who would do such an evil, evil thing??

10:00 AM

Snack time! Celery with almond butter as I prep for an afternoon meeting. 
Calories Consumed: 100


11:30 AM
A wave of exhaustion hits me and all I can think of is...Must..Have...Coffee.... If only power naps were socially acceptable at work. I swing by Starbucks and pick up a hot green tea. It's no espresso, but it will have to do for now.

12:30 PM

Finally...LUNCH. I chow down on my salad with grilled chicken and the fog that had settled over my brain lifts. Exactly why I choose not to do juice fasts or liquid diets - you literally cannot function because your body is focusing on trying to tell you..feeeed me
Calories Consumed: 250

4:00 PM
After 3 hours of meetings, I am realizing how out of it I feel. My brain feels turned off and I'm tired. I feel fatigued, so I drink water and feel better for about 10 minutes. Then tired again. Time for another tea - this time, I snag an orange herbal tea from our cafeteria downstairs.

4:45 PM
Sooo...tired. The trip home that lies ahead of me feels much longer than usual. As I close my eyes and take a semi-nap on my train, I make a mental note to remember to pack an afternoon snack for my lunch tomorrow. 

5:15 PM
Finally arrive at home (after my fifteen minute walk up the giant hill leading to my apartment), and immediately start making a snack - Paleo Deviled Eggs. Cooking is distracting me from noticing how inviting my bed looks right now.

5:30 PM
Feeling immensely better and level headed again after my afternoon snack. Now I feel ready to take on an evening workout! But first, I need some me time - i.e. lounging in front of the TV. 
Calories Consumed: 185

Ofcourse, the first image I see upon turning on the TV is Ina Garten baking a strawberry pistachio tart. Oh, Irony...you are a cruel, cruel temptress. 

7:30 PM
Shake time! I enjoy my last meal of the day: same combo of berries, coconut water, and protein powder.
Calories Consumed: 215

Head out to my gym, about a 15 minute walk, to catch an evening pilates class. Does the Wendy's that I pass by on the way always smell this good? 
Calories Burned: 220

9:00 PM
Arrive back at home and begin prepping food for the next day. Marinate a salmon filet in a little olive oil, lime juice, cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper. I pack up half of the deviled eggs I made earlier for tomorrow's afternoon snack.

9:30 PM
Time to shower and *cringe* weigh in!
Down 0.4 lbs!
Assuming a lot of this is water weight. Hoping this continues over the next few days. 

10:30 PM
While catching up on some work, the exhaustion finally hits me. It's time for some Zzzzzzs. 

  Day 1 Summary  
Total Calories Consumed: 970
Total Calories Burned from Workout: 405
Weight Lost: 0.4 lbs

No comments:

Post a Comment